YANDI OXBOW PROJECT
Yandicoogina Mine Site
Pilbara, Western Australia
Rio Tinto operate the Yandicoogina (Yandi) mine site located in the central Pilbara region of Western Australia, approximately 100km northwest of Newman and 300km southeast of Dampier. Run-of-mine ore from the Yandi Oxbow pit is hauled directly from the pit to the processing circuit at Junction South West.
The scope of works included:
- A 4.5km haul road to connect the Oxbow ore body to the Junction South West run-of-mine pad
- A haul road rail crossing (overpass) consisting of mechanically stabilised earth walls and a steel bridge deck crossing an operating railway
- Upgrades, re-routing and extensions to existing light vehicle access roads
- Supply and installation of corrugated steel pipe culverts
- Construction of a permanent Turkey Nest
- Supply and installation of fencing, gates, guard railing and signage
Throughout the project the team engaged and worked closely with a number of Pilbara Aboriginal Businesses including Boodarie, Gumala and Yurala.
The NRW team successfully completed this project with an excellent safety record, a strong safety culture that saw them awarded the RTIO ‘Make A Difference’ award for the first quarter of 2017.