West Angelas Airstrip
Pilbara, Western Australia
Rio Tinto’s West Angelas Airstrip is located in the Pilbara, Western Australia, approximately 150 kilometres west of Newman.
The project was a Joint Venture between NRW and Indigenous partner NYFL, building on the existing relationship with the Ngarluma and Yindjibarndi people.
The contract includes the decommissioning, relocation and recommissioning of a significant asset to WAN Airport.
The scope of works involved:
- Design and construction of the apron extension
- Relocation of the existing aviation fuel facility
- Design and construction of 8,460 square metres of pavement
- Relocation of the windsock and the precision approach path indicators
- Construction of an access track for the supply of aviation fuel
- Line marking and application of fuel resistant seal to the new apron
- Construction of related works such as concrete walkways, and pedestals
- The installation of approximately 11,530 square metres of asphalt paving and road furniture at the fixed plant workshop
- Intersection upgrades on the mine access road