WAN AIRSTRIP APRON EXTENSION
West Angelas Airstrip
Pilbara, Western Australia
Rio Tinto’s West Angelas Airstrip is located in the Pilbara, Western Australia, approximately 150 kilometres west of Newman.
The project was a Joint Venture between NRW and Indigenous partner NYFL, building on the existing relationship with the Ngarluma and Yindjibarndi people.
The contract includes the decommissioning, relocation and recommissioning of a significant asset to WAN Airport.
The scope of works involved:
- Design and construction of the apron extension
- Relocation of the existing aviation fuel facility
- Design and construction of 8,460 square metres of pavement
- Relocation of the windsock and the precision approach path indicators
- Construction of an access track for the supply of aviation fuel
- Line marking and application of fuel resistant seal to the new apron
- Construction of related works such as concrete walkways, and pedestals
- The installation of approximately 11,530 square metres of asphalt paving and road furniture at the fixed plant workshop
- Intersection upgrades on the mine access road