Nammuldi BWT Waste Fines
Storage Facility – Stage 2
60km Northwest Tom Price
CONTRACT AWARD VALUE
After successfully completing Stage 1 of the Waste Fines Storage Facility (WFSF) in 2014 NRW-NYFL were awarded the second stage of the project by Rio Tinto. The WFSF is located at the Nammuldi mine site, north-west of Tom Price in the Pilbara region.
The contract included the construction of the embankment Stage 2 raise for the WFSF to RL 582m. NRW constructed Stage 1 of the WFSF to RL 575m. Stage 2 consisting of 7m raise was constructed using the downstream construction method.
Scope of work included:
- Clear and grub Stage 2 inundation basin (146Ha)
- Recover and stockpile topsoil and subsoil from the Stage 2 inundation basin (595,000m3)
- 426,000m3 of earthworks including embankment raise, crest road, spillway and seepage collection system
- Construction of the decant structure and access way
- Supply and installation of instrumentation including piezometers, survey points, gauge boards and monitoring bores
- Supply and installation of tailings distribution pipe system
- Project completed injury free with a TRIFR of zero
- Successful engagement in the RTIO Critical Risk Management
- Awarded the Project of the Quarter safety award for the period ending December 2016