KOODAIDERI RAIL FORMATION SOUTH
Koodaideri Rail Formation South
240 kilometres north of Newman,
PROJECT DESCRIPTION NRW was awarded the Koodaideri Rail Formation South contract by Rio Tinto. The Greenfield Koodaideri mine is located 240 kilometres north of Newman and 35 kilometres northwest of the Yandicoogina mine in the East Pilbara mining region. The contract is expected to run for 70 weeks, commencing on site in August 2019. CONTRACT SUMMARY The scope of works includes:
- 592 hectares clearing and stripping.
- 73 kilometres of rail formation starting at Koodaideri Mine Plant heading north – Chainage 292 to 365.
- Eight kilometres of rail loop at the mine site
- 44 kilometres of 10 metre wide bitumen sealed primary road to Main Roads standard (two seal coat) from Great Northern Highway to Koodaideri airstrip, parallel to rail alignment.
- 1.88 million cubic metre of bulk earthworks movement including:
- 180,000 cubic metre of drill & blast
- 500,000 cubic metres of unsuitable/spoil.
- Approximately 20 kilometres of polymer coated corrugated steel pipe culverts up to 2.7 metre diameter.
- 1.2 kilometres of reinforced concrete box culverts including two 3.0 x 2.7 metre underpass.
- Rail signalling civil works.
At the project’s peak of operations, approximately 300 personnel will be employed on site.